Wednesday, July 7, 2010

National League Mid-Season Review

If you are an avid reader of this blog, as I know you are, you probably remember me writing some predictions a few months back. Well, even though there are still a few games left to play before the All-Star break, this is a pretty good opportunity to evaluate how I've done in my first attempt at premonition. So without further ado, let's begin the National League Mid-Season Review.
Let's start with the National League West and my utter lack of baseball understanding. In my prediction special, I actually took the time to list the many reasons why the San Diego Padres wouldn't compete this year, and since then the Padres have done everything to prove me wrong. True, the team ranks 25th in both team average (.247), and homeruns (58), but even those lame statistics can't deter the pitching frenzy that is happening. The Padres are tied with the third best record in baseball because of young, talented arms like Mat Latos, Clayton Richard, and Wade LeBlanc. Adding to the pitching depth are veteran starter Jon Garland and closer extraordinaire Heath Bell, amounting to a MLB-best 3.09 team ERA, with 12 shutouts, which is tied with the Mets for the most in baseball. But the real story is the nearly flawless bullpen, which has found gold in guys like Ryan Webb (1.71 ERA) and Joe Thatcher (1.65 ERA). Quality starts, followed by a shutdown pen and a dominant closer means that the Padres don't have to crush the ball to win, although a trade for a hitter would certainly help. 'Pitching wins ball games' the old adage goes, and it is certainly helping San Diego to be the surprise team of the year, for just about every analyst. "You stay classy San Diego."
In my prediction special I ended up picking the Colorado Rockies to take the NL West division, with the L.A. Dodgers and the S.F. Giants making strong pushes to contend. Which is sort of what's happening. The Rockies haven't put all the pieces together, yet. After the other night's showing, where they came back from 9-5 down in the ninth to win in walk-off fashion, maybe the fight is just starting to show in this club. Today they finished sweeping St. Louis, so maybe things are coming into focus quickly for the ol' Rocks. Having Tulowitzki out will definitely hurt this team, though. If future All-Star Carlos Gonzalez and the Rocks can hang on, Tulo might arrive just in time to lead the team to the playoffs. I still think the Rockies can pull it off, but the Padres and the other solid teams in the West will make this tough division even tougher to win now.
One division that I thought was a lock, is actually shaping up to be a real competition. The NL East is up for grabs because the Philadelphia Phillies are hurting mightily. For many reasons which I spoke of in my last blog, the Phils are devastated by injuries, which has left a gap for the Atlanta Braves and N.Y. Mets to squeeze into. The Braves are led by dynamic pitching and consistent hitting. (Hello, world? It's me, Martin Prado. Take notice!) But the Braves are still maybe one bat away from running away with the East, leaving room for the Mets to potentially take over, should their pitching hold up. If Carlos Beltran comes back and has a return to prominence, the Mets could overtake the Bravos. But don't count out those Phils either. The East will most likely be a close race well after the All-Star break. But given the Phil's ailments, it looks like the Braves have the advantage to win it.
The St. Louis Cardinals are a great team. They have stellar pitching, led by Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright. But what's this? Rookie Jaime Garcia, who I failed to mention in my 'Rookie Sensation(s)' blog, is taking the Central by storm. Lefty Garcia is 8-4 with a piccolo 2.17 ERA. And Colby Rasmus is having an unsung year, having already matched his '09 HR total. Matt Holliday is starting to live up to his contract, and Albert Pujols, despite not having a ridiculously dominant year, is still hitting extremely well. So why isn't this team in first place?
Because the Cincinnati Reds are busting through, that's why! While I thought the Reds would compete, I didn't think they would do this well, this soon. Led by Final Man Joey Votto, the tremendous Reds' offense is leading the National League in team average, homeruns, runs scored and total bases. Holy Crap! While Votto is having an MVP year at first, the pitching is keeping up as well. Starters Mike Leake, Johnny Cueto and Bronson Arroyo are all having great years, so the Reds didn't have to rush Homer Bailey back from his injuries, Aroldis Chapman up from the minors, or Travis Wood into this rookie campaign. Although Wood was recently called up, and he has some great stuff in his repertoire. The Reds have taken full advantage of the Chicago Cubs' utter ineptitude and the Cardinals' somewhat faltering ways. Watch out everybody, the Big Red Machine might be gearing up again.
Let's review then. While I was way off in my prediction that San Diego would suck, I certainly wasn't the only one. Pretty much every baseball show I watch has said this was not to be expected. Don't believe me? Look it up for yourself. But I have been pretty good with the other divisions thus far. True, I didn't think the Braves would be leading the East, but no one can predict injuries. And I thought the Reds would be good, but I was wrong about the time-line. So while I've failed a little, I've also done alright in some respects.
It's always fun to try and predict the future. More often than not the predictor is wrong. But that just drives up anticipation, because the next time you guess the future, it might end up proving you right. Then you can gloat to everybody how you know more than they do. Not that I would do such a thing.
Next time we'll review how little I know about the American League. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment