Wednesday, November 11, 2009

For Love of the Game

If there is one idea that best represents what it means to be an American, it is baseball. Not democracy, nor cultural integration, nor unfettered greed can fully encompass the American persona like the game of baseball. Baseball is all of these things, and it is none of them. It is perfection, and utter humilation. It is Jackie Robinson, and it is Ty Cobb. It was born out of America, and if ever that sad day should come, it will die in America.
Millions of Americans, and growing millions outside of the United States adore the game that children play in sandlots. A even faster growing group of thousands chronicle the game and it's statistics, it's player scandals and it's highlights. I modestly join that group, if only to show appreciation, to let out frustration, to in fact love the game as utterly as I can. This blog is just my simple opinion on matters of the game. I hope that I can inspire a range of emotions from others who may concur or disagree with my views, but who underneath it all, love the game as completely as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment